keemthefranchize - 'Blacksummer' (Mixtape)

 


Detroit hip-hop artist keemthefranchize presents his latest mixtape called BLACK SUMMER.

This “Free EP” is described as an expression about the dark space while embracing this extraordinary dark race. BLACK SUMMER stays true to the lyrical word-play and storytelling style that fans of keemthefranchize have come to love and expect.

When asked about the inspiration behind BLACK SUMMER, Keem explains that "things came to a tipping point. I was already in a dark place from dealing with the effects of covid-19, losing my godmother, the racial injustice, remembering last summer but grateful to be out of that dark spot, and then I was blindsided by a situation with some friends of mine. I normally don’t speak on things that bother me. I usually bottle it up, but I felt like this time it was necessary to speak on it.” Although it was a dark time, Keem says that he was also able to get in tune with his skin, the melanin, and have pride in his blackness. “I’ve never spoke on race when previous injustices bothered me because I felt awkward and fearful.” Keem hopes that BLACK SUMMER will inspire others to process and heal from their own dark spots. He says, “We all have dark moments, but being vulnerable and transparent about it is the start of healing.”

Check out the EP and connect with keemthefranchize below.







Submitted by I Still Love H.E.R., Germany 

Comments